Monday, August 1, 2016

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry, by Gabrielle Zevin

I've been considering writing a book review whenever I finish a book, so that... there will be a sort of record of the books I've read? I never did it because, y'know, I have no idea how to review a book. So I'm just gonna write down whatever I like about how it struck me :)


I didn't actually expect to finish this book. It's about a normal man who runs a bookstore, who's grumpy and acerbic and still grieving the loss of his wife, when one day fate leaves a baby at his doorstep.

The baby is Maya, and she's unknowingly connected to the lives of the other residents in the town. You learn that later, but at the start, the fun is in seeing how A. J. gets his heart melted by Maya, decides to adopt her, and bring her up. We see him change and mellow. We see Maya grow up, from an adorable toddler to an intelligent child — who, like all children, see and understand more than their parents suspect.

I didn't expect to like this, but I did. If I had to give it stars I guess it'd be a 3.5, because it wasn't really magical, or oomph-ish, but I did finish this when I rarely finish books of its ilk. The text flows, the story bobs you gently down the river, and at the end I felt...comfortable. Not wrecked or stunned, like with some really great books, but comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment