Thursday, July 7, 2016

Spend two hours sketching an apple, shading and contouring, filling in imperfections, adding depth and perspective, capturing its soul on paper, and then you'll know if drawing a face is intimate or not.

-----------

If pleasure is for pleasure's sake, if it has no purpose but is an end in itself, then - it is only a distraction from our goals? 

I understand that living has its own pleasures, like the cool breeze on a hot day, the first bite when you're awfully hungry, a spontaneous hug. But pleasure that is sought, such as smoking, doing drugs, drinking, eating past the point of satisfaction, etc, are for their own sake most of the time? 


I had a conversation recently, about 'goals' and 'purpose' - that is, if one knows one's purpose, then one will naturally avoid indulgences that do not further that purpose (but would more likely make you stray). 

And I replied that it's not possible to approach pleasure with logic and goal-driven rationale, because pleasure is it's own end, and logically, doesn't give us anything. And that was when I realized that, well, pleasure doesn't bring us anything other than the pleasure itself. 

Which makes me feel that I have been living an inexcusably hedonistic lifestyle. Hmmm. 

Thinking in progress. Simmer simmer. 

3 comments:

  1. I think there pleasure can be obtained through a spectrum of activities, with some being more self-destructive than others. Pleasure can have a negative connotation, but I think indulging in one's guilty pleasures once in a while is what it means to live. And there's nothing wrong with side stepping once in a while as long as one knows not to stray too far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simmer simmer, bubble bubble. Soon you'll become Stew Ying Yue ( ゚д゚)

      Delete
    2. Haha I know what you mean, and it's not like I think giving up (or pushing away) all forms of pleasure is the right thing to do! I just wonder about the continuum of sensible indulgence to distracting indulgences and finally to straying too far. I guess everyone has their own limits.

      I want to be hobakjuk! :d

      Delete