Sunday, April 2, 2017

Part 2

Another of my efforts to become more Dalai Lama-like involves forest-scented incense. I also have rose, vanilla, and sakura blossom-scented incense to let loose my inner pyromaniac on. (And it really does smell like forest, rose, and vanilla. The sakura incense was a roadside buy, and smells distinctly like burning wood and nothing else.)

I'm not sure if His Holiness burns incense, but the smell brings me back to the zen gardens in Kyoto. And those gardens heal the soul. They're also a good place to read a kindle book, if that's your style, but if not then yes, they heal the soul.

Recently I figured that most of us spend around 16 hours a day doing things, like studying, eating, reading, playing games on our phones. But how we do these things depend on our state of mind—did I wake up with my blanket on fire, or on the wrong side of the bed? If so, I'm going to be pretty short with anyone who asks me anything. I'm not going to eat a salad, because salads days are when things are running pretty good and I can run on green leaves. I'm probably not going to be productive when I study, because I'm upset that my blanket was on fire. You get my drift.

If that's the case, why don't we spend even a little bit more time cultivating the peace of mind, or serenity, that will be the undercurrent of everything we do that day? I don't want to sound all hippy or new-age crazy. Just that five minutes every morning seems like a pretty worthy investment to me. Benjamin Franklin used to wake up at 5 a.m, and ask himself "What good shall I do this day?" He'd then end his day by asking, "What good have I done this day?" I'm not going to do that, but setting a goal doesn't seem like such a bad idea either.

Now I just gotta wake up that five minutes earlier...


CHEEZE - 어떻게 생각해 (how do you think)

2 comments: