Saturday, April 29, 2017

in order to be

I don't need a car, or branded clothes, or a steaming hot milky chocolate. I don't need cute hair ties or a white fluffy dog which looks like its grinning while it chases butterflies. I don't need a person who wears a matching ring, and I don't need a certificate of excellence.

I came to the conclusion that in order to be happy, we don't have to search the world. It's all here. Take off your clothes and sit naked; hold nothing, but it's all there.

But there are some prerequisites. And I never thought I would say this, so maybe I'm just supposing.
1) A community. It can be family, or a few close friends. It's called 'social support', but what it means is people who can give us a measure of perspective, who affirm our goodness (and badness) and validate our existence. Or something like that.

2) A basic level of security. A world where we can eke out a reasonable existence: where we can walk to the supermarket, buy a Yakult and go home without being robbed/injured by a bomb explosion/shot randomly. And we need a shelter. The meaning changes depending on culture, but really a safe place to sleep.

The more I thought about it, the more I came up with. (At this point I remembered Maslow's hierarchy of needs, which has a more comprehensive list on 'what humans need', but not necessarily 'what humans need to be happy'. You can check it out if you're interested!) And eventually I wondered, why are there so many conditions required to be happy? Or to maintain a basic level of self-esteem?

Maybe there aren't. Maybe it's just the instinct to add on more, to grasp more, to surround ourselves with things that keep out gremlins in the night. But maybe gremlins don't care. And maybe we really don't need that much, if only we allowed ourselves to see it.


Andy Grammer - fresh eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment