Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Watership Down

I read Watership Down, a book I'd picked up years ago and put back because it bemused me. It's wonderful. I've been missing out. While reading, I could sense how much the author loved animals, nature, and literature.

Every chapter has a small quote at the beginning, and the first stanza below was quoted:

Four Postures of Death, by Sidney Keyes

I

Death and the Maiden

He said, 'Dance for me,' and he said,
'You are too beautiful for the wind
To pick at, or the sun to burn.' He said,
'I'm a poor tattered thing, but not unkind
To the sad dancer and the dancing dead.'

So I smiled and a slow measure
Mastered my feet and I was happy then.
He said, 'My people are gentle as lilies
And in my house there are no men
To wring your young heart with a foolish pleasure.'

Because my boy had crossed me in a strange bed
I danced for him and was not afraid.
He said, 'You are too beautiful for any man
To finger; you shall stay a maid
For ever in my kingdom and be comforted.'

He said, 'You shall be my daughter and your feet move
In finer dances, maiden; and the hollow
Halls of my house shall flourish with your singing.'
He beckoned and I knew that I must follow
Into the kingdom of no love.



Read Watership Down people~~! It's a story about rabbits, a classic (despite the rabbits) and leaves no man unchanged. :P

Strobe Edge soundtrack - ninako to ren

No comments:

Post a Comment