Thursday, August 25, 2016

book book song

I actually finished The Blind Assassin in two days, and then Middlesex in three (with a three day break in between.

So a few quick comments!


The Blind Assassin is a book narrated by Iris Chase, sometimes as an old lady, sometimes as a young girl. Narration alternates between Iris the upper class young lady, to Iris the elderly widow.

Interspersed between chapters are newspaper reports and snippets of a book written by Laura Chase, Iris' odd sister. Laura "is different". She always takes things literally, gravitates to the company of the sick and delirious, and is unable to navigate a world that can be cruel.

In the first chapter we know someone is having an affair. As the story progresses, suspicions arise, but flow fluidly from one sister to the other. Only at the very end do the pieces fall into place.

When it was all over (my sleepless night, my dazed afternoon..) I realized it was quite a sordid tale, sometimes cruel and acerbic, sometimes heartbreaking... but I never felt it because I kept cheering the sisters on, hoping they would have the strength and courage to make it through.

I wouldn't read this a second time, to spare myself the heartache, but it was pretty enjoyable!





I enjoyed reading about 17-alpha-hydroxylase causing male pseudohermaphroditism! I mean, it was like O&G and pediatrics all over again. Technical terms are explained to us as Cal learns what she has.

What I loved was how Cal traces "who she is" all the way back to her grandparents. If yia yia and papou didn't have a consanguineous relationship, it was unlikely the defective gene would have been passed down to their son, Milton, to finally be expressed in Cal. On her part, Cal never knew she was different. She never had The Talk, and like many kids in the 20th century, had to learn things for herself.

Cal seems to drift in a gray area between the two genders. This book doesn't advocate for or against feminism (oh that loaded gun), but rather, through a character who doesn't seem to fit in either one of the two accepted genders, this book speaks about universal human struggles, explorations in self and sexuality, as well as loneliness. 

I skimmed some parts about the Turkish invasion, but overall it was also a good read! Yay! But also wouldn't read it again. 



Actually I just wanted to write a post saying: 

I play this song when I'm frustrated with studying. (HELLO from the other saaaiiiiiiiiiide! Knowledge on one side, me on the other, and hours spent making bridgessssss. oh yeah.) Humour gets you through so much. 


Adele - hello 

No comments:

Post a Comment