Thursday, February 11, 2016

Brené Brown: Listening to Shame

Shame drives two big tapes -- "never good enough" -- and, if you can talk it out of that one, "who do you think you are?" The thing to understand about shame is, it's not guilt. Shame is a focus on self, guilt is a focus on behavior. Shame is "I am bad." Guilt is "I did something bad." 

How many of you, if you did something that was hurtful to me, would be willing to say, "I'm sorry. I made a mistake?" How many of you would be willing to say that? Guilt: I'm sorry. I made a mistake. Shame: I'm sorry. I am a mistake. 

There's a huge difference between shame and guilt. And here's what you need to know. Shame is highly, highly correlated with addiction, depression, violence, aggression, bullying, suicide, eating disorders. And here's what you need to know more. Guilt, inversely correlated with those things. The ability to hold something we've done or failed to do up against who we want to be is incredibly adaptive. 

[...] we have to understand and know empathy, because empathy's the antidote to shame. If you put shame in a Petri dish, it needs three things to grow exponentially: secrecy, silence and judgement. If you put the same amount in and douse it with empathy, it can't survive. The two most powerful words when we're in struggle: me too. 

And so I'll leave you with this thought. [...] I know it's seductive to stand outside the arena, because I think I did it my whole life, and think to myself, I'm going to go in there and kick some ass when I'm bulletproof and perfect. And that is seductive. But the truth is, that never happens. And even if you got as perfect as you could and as bulletproof as you could possibly muster when you got in there, that's not what we want to see. We want you to go in, and to dare greatly. 


note: I took some tiny liberties with the text...
         just watch it! :) 

Of Monsters And Men - wolves without teeth

2 comments:

  1. Wow Brene Brown! My prof once told me about her. I heard her book is amazing! Evidently it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's brilliant! Her findings from research have a lot of capacity to help people, I think :) Her talk is also veh funny xD

    ReplyDelete