Monday, August 25, 2014

...and then it said, I chose to live.

With owls flying overhead, and wolves prowling the ground, the raccoon said: I chose to live.

That, the boy replied, is arrogance. People don't choose to live, just as they didn't choose to be born. You can't control these things. You can't control whether or not you would meet me, or a hungry coyote. We're little cogs in this wheel of destiny.

The raccoon sat where he was, fluffy tail resting on the floor. I'm not human, he said. Ethics, morality...the raccoon rolled on the ground. All of that has nothing to do with me. I can choose. I am my own God.

That's...very wrong.

Yes, I suppose you would find it blasphemous.

You're going to live your whole life believing you are - your own God?

I'm not a God. I'm a raccoon! I merely will not exchange my freedom for a lie.

What do you mean, freedom?

...None are more hopelessly enslaved, said the raccoon, than those who falsely believe they are free.

What's that?

It's a quote, said the girl sitting in the corner. By...

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, said the raccoon. One of your writers.

What does it mean?

Who knows? I'm just a raccoon. After all, I don't know anything...


Excerpt from Tales For Young Cubs, 6th Edition